Roles and Responsibilities
Assistant Coach & Assistant General Manager
The Assistant Coach & Assistant General Manager reports directly to the Head Coach &
General Manager and as determined by the Head Coach & General Manager is responsible for
assisting him in all aspects of hockey operations. It is expected that the Assistant Coach and
Assistant General Manager will represent the Team and the community of Drayton Valley in a
positive and professional manner. He will, to the best of his abilities, be a positive role model
and a visual member of the community. Specific Job duties will include but not be limited to:
1. On and off ice supervision of all players to ensure their safety, performance development
and academic achievement.
a. Assist with the Educational Program and monitor SAT class sessions
b. Monitor players contributions and behaviour throughout the season in community
c. Coordinate team function events with coaching staff
d. Holds players accountable for team rules and norms including curfews and
non-use of banned substances.
2. Assisting in the development, evaluation, teaching and execution of team systems
3. Bench Management as assigned by the Head Coach and General Manager
4. Responsible for all aspects of video preparation, breakdown and analysis. Specifically
a. Individual player, line, position, video highlights
b. Video highlights to illustrate systems including specialty teams
c. Video highlights and analysis of competition
d. Video highlights for promotional use
e. Video camera hook up and capture of game as well as assignment of players or
volunteers to operate the camera.
5. Game and practice plan development and delivery as assigned by the Head Coach and
6. Performs meal and travel planning as required
7. Organizes identification, development and training camps
8. Organizes Hockey schools and other events as required.
9. Maintains accurate team statistics and player and parent contact information. Including
reviewing for accuracy all home game sheets before submission to the league.
10. Assist in the management and acquisition of players including:
a. Actively scouting and recruiting unsigned players for the Team
b. Identifying possible player acquisitions or trades and evaluating the potential
trade using scouts, contacts and video analysis.
11. Represents the Thunder in the Community and supports the marketing manager with
promotion as time may permit.
12. Organize the pro shop including the business plan, staffing, inventory as required
13. Other incidental duties may be assigned from time to time.
The Position is full time during the term of the employment contract from August 1 – April 30,
with the possibility of extension based on additional opportunities for the DV Thunder.
Please apply directly to Head Coach and General Manager Eric Thurston by email at
Head Coach & General Manager
Cell # (780) 289-8393